Vienna: Woman of Choice - Charlotte Büler


 For my woman of choice in Vienna blog post I chose to write about Charlotte Büler. From my professor Rob, I learned that she was a child psychologist. She went into geriatrics. She helped children who came from abuse. She worked hard to figure out how best to help a child overcome these traumas. On our way to an opera, we stopped by the place she worked. According to Rob, it was a home built as a children’s welfare center. It began being built in 1923 and was finished in 1926. She worked for the science behind this welfare center. Rob also taught us that when the Nazis came to power she went to the US and taught in California and on the east coast. She developed humanist psychology. She focused on the fact that every child has a specific need and we need to get to the individual. It was important to her to figure out how to connect the individual back to the community. Also, we learned from Rob that Hildegard Hetzer was her assistant. This woman was with the opinion of the nazis. Thus, Charlotte was a lone voice in saying that every child is important and a child of God. She was a religious woman. I find Charlotte Büler so inspiring in the fact that she stood alone in her opinion and was able to make a difference.


I think that Charlotte Büler’s contribution was important as she was able to make a difference in the lives of children who were abused. She made a difference in how psychologists go about helped the abused. Her contribution of developing humanist psychology is so important as it really helps to connect with the child and actually help the child become a productive part of society once again. She stood alone against many others and was able to see the importance in individuals and their difference. I think that her contribution has inspired many, helped the lives of children, and made milestones in science within the psychology world and helped women within her field and country especially. 


In my opinion, Charlotte Büler could be commemorated better. I had heard of her before, so she must be talked about within psychology classes or schooling in general. Though, I had not heard of any streets or statutes made in her honor. I did read on msp.edu that there is an award in her name at Michigan School of Psychology. Though, I believe she deserves to be commemorated better especially in the city of Vienna. But, in terms of worldwide, I think it is impressive that she is talked about and I think that is a great way to celebrate her achievements.

Comments