Berlin: Reichstag
When we went to look at the Reichstag building, the first thing I noticed was this huge, impressive building that was built in the late 1800s. The architecture had many detailed decorations and sculptures on the outside. The most eye-catching part of the Reichstag building was its dome rising up out of the center, which stands out against the skyline. I thought it was so cool that the dome could look down on the people in parliament representing the people’s power and democracy. The Reichstag has seen a lot of history, both good and bad, and it's a symbol of Germany's past and hopes for the future.
The Reichstag holds a lot of historical and cultural significance in Germany. It is a symbol of democracy, resilience, and unity. Throughout its existence, the Reichstag has seen the rise and fall of authoritarian regimes, the devastation of war, and the unification of a divided nation. We learned that it was reconstructed after World War II and the addition of the glass dome serves as symbols of reconciliation, transparency, and democracy. I feel that the Reichstag stands as a reminder of the importance of democratic institutions and the need to protect them against authoritarian threats like Hitler and the Nazi party.
The Reichstag contributes significantly to Berlin's status as a cultural capital by serving as the city's center for politics and democracy. This important building demonstrates the country’s pride for their government. The building contributes to Berlin’s status as a cultural capital, because of its historical significance as well as its role in the German government today. I think democracy and the power with the people is a very important part of being a cultural capital of the world. I don’t think we would feel a city is a great cultural capital if it were a dictatorship. I think the Reichstag enriches Berlin's culture as well as its democracy, history, and future.

Such a great post Meg!!! I totally agree that the Reichstag contributes so much to Berlin. As you said, it is a center for politics and democracy in Germany and that has so much significance in a city. Also there is a lot of rich history behind the Reichstag and all that it withheld during WW2 and the divide of Berlin. Having a monument with so much history is important to a city, especially Berlin.
ReplyDeleteHey Meg! One thing you discussed was that the building represents how Germany is resilient! I think this is so right in how it mixes modern and older architecture representing old Germany and the new. I think Germany’s history is what adds to it being a cultural capital. Its dark history makes it unique and the way it grapples with it also sets it apart.
ReplyDelete