Sintra: Quinta da Regaleira
When I looked at the Quinta da Regaleira I saw a palace of beautiful architecture. The property was filled with much more than just that palace though. It was quite the hike just walking around all of the property. I saw several dark tunnels leading to caves that usually had a statue and sometimes water in it. We waited in line to view the intiation well. It went very deep with a winding all the way down. There was a star shape taking up the entire base of the well. The well then led to long tunnels that we had to duck sometimes to get through. We also found a small water fall and some gorgeous stepping stones. There were many other small towers amongst the property. We climbed to the top of one and saw an amazing view of the whole city and all of the green nature and colorful houses. We then found the chapel. We could not go inside, but we were able to see a few vibrant paintings on the inside.
I believe the Quinta da Regaleira is important historically, because it has a sort of mysterious history that adds to the significance of this property that demonstrates wealth as well. We learned from Dr. Hegstrom that this property was sold to a millionaire Antonio Augusto Carvalho Monteiro by the Baroness of Regaleira. The Baroness of Regaleira owned it in the 19th century. They were interested in all things esoteric building everything on this property. We also learned from Professor Pratt and Dr. Hegstrom that Monteiro had an interest in the Knights Templar, also known as the Order of the Knights and freemasons. The Knights Templar was a group of people who had knowledge that no one else had. This is what contributes to the mystery behind this property and gives it its lore. At one point the Order of Christ took over the Knights Templar. This was a secret group of people protecting and maintaining things. Thus, I believe the Quinta da Regaleira is very much historically important, especially to the city of Sintra.
In my opinion, this estate, Quinta da Regaleira contributes to not only the city of Sintra as a cultural capital, but also Lisbon. I believe that it contributes to both as cultural capitals, because the majority of people who come visit Lisbon also make a trip to Sintra to see the Quinta da Regaleira. It specifically contributes to the city of Sintra as a cultural capital, because of the vastness of the property and the wealth it demonstrates. It also has a lore behind it that makes it very historically interesting and reflects the culture as well. Thus, the Quinta da Regaleira contributes to the city as a cultural capital.
I like how you talk about how Sintra and Lisbon are very interconnected. Both of them can be cultural capitals in their own way, while also supporting the culture of the other. I also thought that the lore behind Quinta da Regaleira was super interesting and fun to learn about. It definitely adds to the culture and history of Sintra to learn about it!
ReplyDeleteLoved your post Meg! I think what makes this place so unique to being a part of Lisbon culture is that it’s not even in Lisbon. It brings tourist and money into the city which strengthen Lisbon being a cultural capital. There’s so much history attach to the place which ties to Lisbon heritage.
ReplyDelete