Madrid: Choice Woman
On a walking tour of Madrid we went to visit the statue of Condesa de Pardo Bazán. I learned from the professors that Emilia Pardo Bazán was many things. She was the 22nd person in Spain to have a telephone. She was a member of the literacy club. She was the second woman that the club allowed in. She was the first woman to become a professor at the University in Madrid. She gave lectures in literacy. She was also the head of the department, which men did not like. The male professors actually boycotted her lectures. Students were scared to go to her lectures, because the male professors would not work with them if they attended her lectures. Emilia Pardo Bazán was also a great female realist writer. She wrote the closest thing to naturalist writing in Spain. She cared a lot about the impoverished people and wrote books giving detailed descriptions of them. In addition, she believed in Darwin. She also weighed over 300 pounds and men shamed her for this. I am very impressed with the person Emilia was. I think she went through a lot of being shamed and oppressed and yet still accomplished so much.
I think Emilia Pardo Bazán’s contribution was important, because she became one of the first women to do several things. This alone is inspiring to women and helped to give hope of equality one day or at least less oppression for women. She helped to make a way in Madrid for more women to become professors as well. She went through the shame and boycotting of her lectures, so that women later on would be more accepted in her field of study. I think she has lent a hand in the moving forward of women being respected in the work field and as educated writers and body positivity as well. Her contribution of her wonderful novels is also worth recognizing.
I believe there has been a good attempt of commemorating Emilia Pardo Bazán. The statue of Condesa de Pardo Bazán is located in the center of Madrid, rather than the outskirts. The statue is in a busy area and a pretty large statue. I had heard of her one time before this tour, while my school was celebrating Women’s History Month. Thus, she must be recognized worldwide, which I believe is important. But, I had friends who have never heard of her. I think she could have more recognition within the University of Madrid especially, as she was the first woman to become a professor there.
This woman faced many challenges and one of them being taken seriously as a woman in education. Specifically as a university professor. She overcame these challenges by continuing to press forward and work towards being a good professor.
ReplyDeleteLearning about this woman helps us to understand Spain and its focus on education specifically. Having strong professors especially a woman professor helps us to understand what importance they put into education.
Great blog meg! I also wrote a blog about her! She faced many challenges in her life. One of these challenges was how the male professors treated her at the university. They were not kind to her and kind of drove her out of the university by boycotting her lessons. I am happy that this obstacle isn’t really prevalent today, that I know of. I have lots of female professors and they are doing great things!
ReplyDeleteGreat post, Meg! She faced so many challenges but didn’t let anything get her down. She could’ve easily given up when it was problem after problem, but she didn’t, and because of that, we don’t have to face near as many problems as she did!
ReplyDelete