Lisbon Choice Art


We were able to visit the Jerònimos Monastery in Belém on the Tagus River, which was close to where we saw the Discovery Monument. The monastery is a large and beautiful historic building in Lisbon. I read on lisbon.net that it was built in the 16th century. It has a stunning Gothic architectural style with lots of intricate carvings and details. Originally, it was a monastery where monks lived, prayed, and worked. I was overwhelmed by this beautiful white building with so many details carved into every surface. It fits Gothic architecture because of the many sculptures all over the walls and the pointed archways, flying buttresses and stained glass windows. I loved how the white walls contrasted with the beautiful blue sky that day.

 

I believe the Jeronimos Monastery is important to Lisbon because it represents the importance of the Catholic faith historically and culturally, to the Portuguese people. I learned that the monastery was built during the Age of Discovery, which is what the Discoveries Monument located nearby was built to represent. I thought that was interesting. It is also such an intricate example of architecture for that time and something that draws tourists and locals to see. I also learned from lisbon.net that the monastery houses the tombs of several important Portuguese figures, including Vasco da Gama, the famous explorer who is also featured on the Discoveries Monument.

 

I feel that the Jeronimos Monastery contributes to Lisbon’s status as a cultural capital because it helps to demonstrate the wealth and architectural capabilities of the city. People come to study the intricate architecture as well as its historical significance. It also provides educational opportunities for groups like our’s. I feel it is also a symbol of Lisbon’s national pride. It is a symbol of how proud the Portuguese people are of their religion, monks and exploration since it is a burial ground of prominent explorers at that time.

Comments

  1. I love this post. I think that the monastery totally showcases the wealth and architectural capabilities of the city! It has a lot of rich history that people can learn about and visit. I was grateful we got to go see how beautiful of a place this was-it clearly is loved by people from all over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I especially love how you talk about how the Jeronimos Monastery stands as a symbol of Lisbon's national pride. I think it is so cool how this monastery honors all kinds of people, whether they be religious leaders, explorers or artists. When we visit this monastery, we are able to reflect on the city of Lisbon and all that came before to make this city as historic as it is today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved how you recounted the details of the building in your first paragraph—it felt like I was standing back there for a moment. You did a wonderful job discussing how this particular monument contributed to the cultural capital of Lisbon. The city of Lisbon is supported by this building through its wealth and architecture, as you mentioned, and your writing about the monastery shows this well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment